School Board Approval of the African American History Initiative.
- Evidence that the school board has developed a plan for the implementation of the Florida African and African American History required instruction.
- Evidence that the plan has been publicized in school districts curriculum guides etc.
Structured Professional Development
- Evidence that the school district has developed and implemented an ongoing professional development plan for training teachers, students and school staff in strategies for teaching African American History.
- Evidence that adequate resources have been allocated to structured professional development programs and for enhancing the instruction of African American History in an infused format.
African American Studies Curriculum
- Evidence of African American History Curriculum Frameworks K-12 has been integrated as part of its school district policy with respect to required curriculum.
- Evidence that the curriculum has been disseminated to curriculum specialists, teachers, media specialists and other educators in the district.
- Evidence that there are adequate teaching resources including books, CD’s,digital media, and lesson plans available to support this required instruction.
Structured Teaching of the African American History Curriculum
- Evidence that the African American History content appears in lesson plans over the sustained period of 180 plus days.
- Evidence that there are approved methods for teaching and assessing the African American History Curriculum.
- Evidence that there are African American History content infused and linked to the FCAT and other high stake tests and requirements.
- Evidence that the African American history content are infused in all subject areas.
University – School District Collaboration
- Evidence of university involvement in professional development, curriculum and instruction support, etc.
- Evidence of school district university partnership in seeking external funding (federal grants, foundation grants, etc.)
- Evidence that the school district and university partnership has aided in the preparation of pre-professional teachers and other educators.
- Evidence that the school district’s initiatives in African American History has resulted in the development of strategies that include the involvement of parents through awareness information sessions.
- Evidence that there are community partners who are involved in the development and ongoing implementation of the African American History Curriculum.