School Board Approval of the African American History Initiative.
- Evidence that the school board has developed a plan for the implementation of the Florida African and African American History required instruction.
- Evidence that the plan has been publicized in school districts curriculum guides etc.
Structured Professional Development
- Evidence that the school district has developed and implemented an ongoing professional development plan for training teachers, students and school staff in strategies for teaching African American History.
- Evidence that adequate resources have been allocated to structured professional development programs and for enhancing the instruction of African American History in an infused format.
African American Studies Curriculum
- Evidence of African American History Curriculum Frameworks K-12 has been integrated as part of its school district policy with respect to required curriculum.
- Evidence that the curriculum has been disseminated to curriculum specialists, teachers, media specialists and other educators in the district.
- Evidence that there are adequate teaching resources including books, CD’s,digital media, and lesson plans available to support this required instruction.
Structured Teaching of the African American History Curriculum
- Evidence that the African American History content appears in lesson plans over the sustained period of 180 plus days.
- Evidence that there are approved methods for teaching and assessing the African American History Curriculum.
- Evidence that there are African American History content infused and linked to the FCAT and other high stake tests and requirements.
- Evidence that the African American history content are infused in all subject areas.
University – School District Collaboration
- Evidence of university involvement in professional development, curriculum and instruction support, etc.
- Evidence of school district university partnership in seeking external funding (federal grants, foundation grants, etc.)
- Evidence that the school district and university partnership has aided in the preparation of pre-professional teachers and other educators.
- Evidence that the school district’s initiatives in African American History has resulted in the development of strategies that include the involvement of parents through awareness information sessions.
- Evidence that there are community partners who are involved in the development and ongoing implementation of the African American History Curriculum.
Approved by The State of Florida’s Task Force on African American History
Approved Exemplary Status School Districts
Broward County Public Schools – Contact – Mrs. Marion Williams
Duval County Public Schools – Contact – Contact Donnie Martin
Leon County Schools – Contact – Dr. Michelle Gayle
Miami-Dade Public Schools – Contact – Dr. Shirrlyn Scott
Palm Beach County Schools – Contact – Contact Dr. Cathy Pressey
Pinellas County School District – Contact – Cindy Flora
St. Lucie County Schools – Contact – Contact Nicholas Zrallack
Volusia County Public Schools – Contact – Support Services